Saturday, May 14, 2011

obligatory letter to the reader. . .

Reader,

Writing for me has become over the years less and less an outlet to write my own narratives and stories whether personal or fictional.  As a child, I spent many hours of my life producing what I now feel are embarrassing works of fiction, short stories, and horribly angsty teenage poetry.  But as I have developed as a reader, and a student of literature, my own writing and my desire to write has become transformed in its nature.  I grew to have a greater desire to write more than I had as a child, but not in the same way. Instead of writing creatively, my creativity moved off the page and more into my theoretical interpretations of texts.  Perhaps socialized by my higher education and the writings I had to produce as a student; or perhaps just finally finding a genre I felt was meaningful to my own personal existence as a individual and as a reader, I have finally found that my writing has become centered around the analytic, and didactic relationship a reader can have with a text through writing.  Developing this didactic relationship of the reader with the text is what I have sought to do through my writer's workshop project: this blog on Gravity's Rainbow.  And although through this course I have not managed to develop this project to its fullest capacity, I have found that this is a project that is important to me and will remain with me when this course is over.  I hope to continue this project for the entirety of this text, and perhaps through other texts as well.  Ultimately, I hope that as a reader this project will push me into further discourse with a subject matter that I love.

~ Gwendolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment